Monday 19 January 2009

Gorilla Concept Work

I have spent the last few days drawing hundreds of different gorillas, dumb and intelligent. It has drove me a bit mad as its a lot harder than initially expected. I am trying to design a variety of different styled Gorillas, curvy, hard edged, square, rectangular, realistic, simplistic, abstract, play -doey, spherical, you name it - i've tried it. I've been skecthing gorillas every minute of my spare time in hope that I come across a design that gives me the "yes thats the one!" feeling!

I started by researching gorillas on the net, looking at images of them - cartoony adaptions by other people aswell as real life photo's. I could post them up here on the blog but it's pointless as they're everything from page 1 - 50 on the google image search of gorilla, funny gorilla, cartoon gorilla, etc etc. There's too many reference images I've used to show you where my inspirations have come from. I may post a few of my favs at a later date to show you the few that grabbed my attaention and I decided to adapt and develop. Below are my very very rough concepts which I struggled to find any I liked:




















I showed the guys these loose thumb nails and we agreed on the 3 designs we liked most. I then went on to develop the 3 in a way which would give us more idea of how they may look with say a body or tidied up a bit. We chose one of the green sketches with the bannana shaped head design, one of the blue sketches which was a sort of potato head/totem pole wild design, and lastly another of the blue sketches which reminded me and Tom of the Gorillaz sort of style, very jagged and angular. I then produced a few more sketches of the 3 favoured designs:

1. Bannana Head Shape Design













2. Totem Pole / Potato Design
















3. Gorillaz Design












Hopefully now we have more of an idea what each style would involve and which suits the character and claymation effect best. I shall consult the guys tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment